Movistar’s Mikel Landa believes he can be competitive at this year’s Tour de France, and is hopeful about making this year’s podium, after just missing out last year. Ideally it would be the top step.
The 28-year-old Spaniard missed out on third overall at last year’s Tour – his first Tour – by a single second, and so that third step is certainly well within reach.
“I didn’t look at it as if it was important in the hours after the result,” Landa said in a team press release on Wednesday. “I hadn’t really looked at myself as a potential Tour podium contender during the race, and didn’t feel disappointed about not getting that result.
“But as time went by, I started thinking more about it, and I’d of course have loved to be there. It made me sad, but also made me realise that I had to continue working hard in order to get there this year.”
This year, former Team Sky rider Landa starts the race on July 7 as one of Movistar’s three protected riders, along with Nairo Quintana and Alejandro Valverde. Quintana has already spoken about how the trio’s relationship is a good one, and it’s a sentiment that Landa echoes.
“I’ve already completed two stage races with Nairo, and we got on well with each other,” Landa said. “I’ve not raced as much with Alejandro, but he’s a man with whom you get along instantly.
You can read more at Cyclingnews.com