Cycling is ideal: in addition to being a means of anti-pollution and anti-waste locomotion, it is above all an accessible and complete sport activity .
Two wheels, three techniques
You can pedal more or less everywhere. But it distinguishes three different types of bicycles , associated with various land and techniques:
– The city bike (city bike) serves mainly to get around town or on paved roads, to go for a walk or make a precise way. The saddle and handlebar are high, the basket and the luggage rack make it particularly practical and comfortable.
– The racing bicycle.It only serves to make long journeys on the road or track. It is the one that the riders of the Giro d’Italia use. With its slender, light and thin lines, with the handlebars positioned at the bottom and the thin wheels, its aim is speed and resistance.
– The mountain bike. It is the one that allows you to pedal anywhere: on muddy or stony paths, on the seashore, on country paths … Heavy and equipped with wide and very well-matched wheels, it guarantees good stability and absorbs shocks.
The benefits of the bicycle
– It burns calories . Pedaling at an average pace, you burn from 300 to 600 calories per hour. Pedaling at a fast pace (about 20 km / h), we pass to 500/600 Kcal / h. In addition, after about half an hour of practice, fat reserves begin to be thrown away.
– Prevents cardio-vascular diseases . Resistance sport par excellence, the bicycle gradually strengthens the heart, ventilates the lungs and oxygenates the muscles. But on condition of proceeding regularly and using moderation!
– Limit the risk of trauma . By bike, one must not support one’s weight. It is the ideal activity for people who are overweight, who have fragile joints or are recovering from a wound.
– Tones the silhouette as a whole. Pedaling strengthens the thighs, the calves and the buttocks. But it also urges the torso, the arms, the lower back and the abdominals , especially the lateral ones, when you are pedaling without sitting down.
Relax . Cycling: zero stress! You avoid traffic jams, you are in the open air, you gain time (and money) and produce the endorphins, the substances at the origin of good humor!
– The risk of accidents is there. Whether on a road, in the countryside or in the city, the risk of falling or collision can not be ignored.
– The solicitation can be irregular. It is better to avoid alternating descents and climbs when you start training or when you have heart problems.
– Beware of the back. A wrong position, a misdirected effort, and the lower backs get in the way. Similarly, contact with the saddle can be painful for the buttocks.
– When pollution increases, we are at the forefront. The nose above the exhaust pipes is not the best.
The rules for riding well
– Study the itinerary before leaving, especially for mountain bike trips: get information on the state of the terrain, the slope, the duration of the route … and the weather.
– Dose your efforts. The marches are there for this. Do not hesitate to take it easy uphill: this allows you to save forcing after! While pedals it tries to make the abdominals work too and served of the upper part of the body to go on more easily.
– Choose the appropriate material. It is the basic rule. The ideal would be to get a bike suitable for the use you want to make it (moderate or intensive routes, in the city or on the trails …). Get advice from a specialist. It will also explain how to adjust it according to your body morphology. This is essential for pedaling with pleasure and avoiding pain.
– Put your helmet on. It is highly recommended. In case of a fall, it can save your life.