The design of a bike is very crucial, it is not just for physical appearances but also for performance. These designs have gone through quite an evolution as the first design dates back to the early 1800s when bikes weren’t used for transportation and they were also made out of wood. Over the last 2 decades, the design and features of bikes have changed, meaning they are much more resourceful now.
In addition to the traditional bikes, step-through bikes have entered the fray and that has left a huge question with bikers-Which one should they go for? The answer isn’t simple, but we will discuss the aspects and features of both these bikes.
In this guide, we will be going through all the details of the Step-Through and Step-Over Bikes, all of their features, unique selling points, pros, and cons will be discussed.
What are Step-Through Bikes?
Step-Through bikes go back in time, as they were still being developed in the early 20th century. These innovative bikes helped women a lot and that is how they gained their immense fame. Women in the late 19th century had a very different kind of clothing, instead of pants they used to wear dresses. Those dresses weren’t compatible with the bikes that were available at that time so it caused a lot of problems.
With the advent of Step-Through bikes, women were able to use these bikes without even lifting up their legs and that gained such immense fame. These bikes actually showed that women were also being valued back in the day, that their needs also were to be taken very seriously. Taking all of this into account, the Step-Through bikes have overcome the shortcomings of the traditional Step-Over bikes and proved that they are the future.
The Step-Through bikes basically consist of a lower frame than usual along with a low-stepping pad. They offer very comfortable rides and can be mounted/dismounted easily. These bikes are fun and enjoyable for your everyday routine, but not for anything intense like hilly terrains.
- One of the most simple benefits that you will get out of your Step-Through bike would be the ease of maneuverability. You can get on and off the bike without breaking a sweat, it will also be quite comfortable. You don’t need to have awesome reflexes or good motion skills to ride these bikes, they are also very much recommended for the older generation as they won’t require that much energy.
- These bikes make grocery shopping/everyday routine so much fun! If you are looking for a comfy bike for these activities then Step-Through bikes make for an amazing choice. Need to get on and off your bike often, then go for these bikes.
- Step-Through bikes are also the best choice for professional needs, if you need a bike for the office then they prove to be the best choice. No matter what kind of formal attire you have, these bikes will keep you comfortable and relaxed. You also won’t need to worry about your dress getting dirty.
- Step-through bikes are heavier and thicker than the traditional Step-Over bikes, the main reason is their construction. These bikes don’t have that top bar, so conventional support and protection, which also make them less sturdy by comparison. So, in order to compensate for all that, these bikes use more durable components which ultimately makes them heavier.
- If you are seeking a bike for professional needs then the Step-Through bike isn’t going to be enough. Step-Through bikes are not known for their speed but their ease and comfort. Although if you really want a Step-Through bike and one with speed then I would suggest that you go with the electric bikes as they come in this design.
- As we discussed before, Step-Through bikes aren’t best for hilly terrains because of their structure and they are definitely no alternatives for mountain bikes. The frame structure of this bike is very fragile so when you are on hilly terrains all the pressure is diverted to frames which can prove dangerous.
- If you love to customize your bike and add fancy gadgets/accessories to it then you are going to be disappointed. Because of their structure, there is no room for accessories nor customization.
- If you need to use the rack with your bike then you are going to be put through a lot of pressure. You will need to carry a top tube bar adapter always with you for the rack.
Find the BEST step through bikes here.
What are Step-Over Bikes?
These are your famous traditional bikes, with a Step-Over frame. The reason they are called Step-Over is because of their diamond/triangle frame construction, you can say that it is also their uniqueness.
These types of frames are present in almost all kinds of bikes, ranging from city bikes to mountain bikes to professional racing bikes. They are just everywhere!
- The first thing that you are going to get out of your bike is longevity, that amazing durability that nothing else can offer. When people go for bike-shopping they consider two main factors: performance and durability. With Step-Over bikes you can never go wrong as they have both of these factors.
- If you are an adventurer and love hilly terrains then these bikes are going to your new best friend. Step-Over bikes are made for all kinds of terrain, the sky is the limit, and expect amazing performance from these bikes.
- They are very lightweight, the frame ensures the speed and handling, this also results in enhanced performance. With these bikes, you will be able to attain more speed with the expenditure of less energy.
- These bikes aren’t meant for the most extreme conditions and they are only compatible with lightweight to average weight riders.
- The construction of these bikes is very different, in extreme conditions they won’t be able to perform well, don’t go comparing them with the performance of a mountain bike.
- Customization of these bikes is very expensive, if you want them to adjust to a specific level of terrain or environment then you would have to customize the frame which will set you back a few hundred dollars.
Find the BEST step over bikes here.
Step-Over or Step-Through bikes, which one to choose from? There isn’t one clearly defined answer over here, your own needs and perspectives would play a big role here. Your bike will depend on your need so before you actually go get one, you need to ask yourself these questions first:
- Why would I be needing this bike? Casual, fun, or professional purposes?
- Where will I store the bike, would I need to construct a garage?
- What kind of area do I live in?
The difference between these two bikes is the frame and performance aspects, both have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. You can’t go wrong with either one of them, on another note cycling is a great exercise which relaxes and comforts you and you definitely need a bike for that. Go with the option that suits you best and you won’t be disappointed!
The post Step Through vs. Step Over Bikes – Which One is Better? appeared first on Icebike.org.